- Operating systems:
- WinNT4, WinME
- Past - Assembly, Pascal, and Forth.
- Present - Perl, Java, Cisco, HTML, SQL, CFML, Unix scripts.
- Future - more Cold Fusion, Perl, Java.
- Management Applications:
- An MRP system of my own design which has seen over a decade of use. Author.
- Supercalc 2,3,& 4 - a spreadsheet which I still use, with programming. Expert.
- Excel - capable.
- Lotus Approach 96 under WinNT 4, - I have designed databases with this. Strong facility.
- Paradox 3 & 4 under DOS. - I have designed databases with this. Strong facility.
- Quattro - capable.
- Access - novice.
- Timeline 5 - a project manager; I have expert facility with this tool.
- Timeslips 5 - a time billing program. Capable.
- QuickBooks - Intermediate facility. In use for many years.
- GoldMine 4 - a contact manager. Intermediate facility.
- Word 97 - Currently producing technical documentation in this environment.
- Ventura Professional 2.0 - for page layout, and book design.
I still use VP2 regularly although I also have Corel's version.
I have produced complete software and hardware documents with VP2.
Almost expert now.
- Wordstar 3.3 and 5.5 - for editing. I have used version 3.3 since CP/M days.
I still prefer it for editing. Expert. Wrote custom index and tutorial for 3.3.
- CAD systems:
- Schema 3 - schematic capture system. Strong facility with this.
- PADS PCB, versions 5 & 6 - printed circuit board design system.
I have done most of my design with this system. Expert level.
- Cadnetix - printed circuit board design system, on the Sun platform.
Intermediate facility with this older system from Intergraph.
Have not used the autorouter on either this or PADS.
- Lavenir View386+ - Gerber photoplot editor. I have this installed.
My level is novice here.
- AutoCAD 13, and 2002 - drafting system. I have done some
designs with AutoCAD. Intermediate facility.
- GRASS - The public domain GIS. Have compiled and installed this
on Unix. Beginner.
- ARCinfo - The industrial GIS. Beginner.
- Image Processing:
- Photoshop up to v5.5
- HiJaak v2.02
- Unix Internet servers: running my own firewall, DNS
server, SMTP server, and web server.
- OS/2 and Unix Internet client utilities, telnet, news, ftp,
mail, all in regular use.
- Netscape: using the latest versions on Linux-2.2, WinME, WinNT4, OS/2-Warp4,
- JStreet Mailer, from Innoval, written in Java.
I love this full featured mail handler. Capable.
- Procomm. Communications utility. Expert.
- Many fax utilities, including FaxRush for Goldmine; wrote user's doc for FaxRush.
- Network configuration experience under Linux, WinNT4, WEB NOS 4 under DOS,
and with Cisco routers.
- Xtree, Ztree, and Unixtree: for DOS, UNIX, OS/2, & NT4.
- Tape utilities for DOS, OS/2, and UNIX. (QIC and DDS3)
I am currently teaching "Unix for System Administrators" at North
Seattle Community College. I am proficient with shell scripting.
Past experience was mostly writing device drivers. Wrote a driver
for an eight port SIO card. Solid knowledge of RS232C protocols.
Growing familiarity with TCP/IP environment. Have done
extensive scripting for databases, speadsheets, and communication
I have managed software development in small teams working on
proprietary hardware (which we also designed).
I write structured code, and I comment and document it. I also write
for both programmers and users.
I assemble and configure all my own systems. For an example of
the research I do for systems integration see a report on the state of graphics chips
compatible with NT4, OS/2, and Linux (where all three are required).
This report was published in
the journal of the OS/2 community, Feb 1999.
I served for two years as coordinator for the sysops committee
of the Seattle Community Network.
- The Mythical Man/Month, Brooks
- The Psychology of Computer Programming, Gerald Weinberg
- Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook, Scott Adams :o)
This is SOFTWARE.html at http://www.smsys.com/res/software.html
last rev 3/18/02